HDB Upgraders

Before you upgrade, you need three numbers and one decision.

The numbers: what you walk away with after selling, what you can borrow, and what the new place actually costs you monthly. The decision: sell first, or buy first. Everything else follows from those.

What people actually ask

The five questions behind every upgrade

None of these need a viewing to answer. They need a calculator and someone willing to give you the honest output.

The decision

Sell first or buy first

There is no universally correct answer. There is a correct answer for your cash position, your risk tolerance and your family's tolerance for moving twice.

Sell first
Certainty, then search
1Sell the HDBYou now know your exact proceeds instead of estimating them.
2Confirm your real budgetCash and CPF in hand, loan approved against a known figure.
3Bridge the gapExtension of stay, or interim rental. This is the cost of the certainty.
4Buy without pressureYou're a cash-ready buyer with no deadline, which is a negotiating position.
The trade-offYou may move twice, and you're exposed if prices rise while you're searching.
Buy first
Secure it, then sell
1Secure the new propertyYou get the unit you want rather than whatever is available later.
2Fund the gapBridging loan or existing cash covers the period you hold both.
3Sell the HDBUnder a real deadline, which affects the price you'll accept.
4Move onceNo interim rental, no second move, less disruption for the family.
The trade-offHigher upfront cash requirement, additional duties may apply depending on your circumstances, and pressure to accept a lower price on the HDB.

Duties, timelines and financing rules change and depend on your specific circumstances. I'll work through your actual position with you rather than applying a rule of thumb, and where it's a tax or legal question, I'll tell you to get it confirmed by the right professional.

The supply picture

More flats are reaching MOP than at any point in years

This is the backdrop to every upgrade decision being made right now. Roughly double the number of flats became eligible for resale this year compared with last, and the wave keeps building.

0 10k 20k ~8,000 ~13,500 ~19,500 2025 2026 2028 2027 figure not published. Bars are not consecutive years.
HDB flats reaching their five year Minimum Occupation Period. Figures cited by the Ministry of National Development and corroborated across property research published in 2026, which puts the 2026 total between 13,400 and 13,500.
If you are selling

You have more competition than last year

Roughly double the eligible stock came onto the market this year. Not all of it lists at once, historically only a small share sells within the first twelve months, but in towns with heavy concentrations you are competing with far more neighbours than an owner in the same flat was competing with in 2024.

If you are buying

You have leverage you did not have in 2024

More listings means more room to negotiate and less pressure to decide on the spot. The supply is concentrated in specific towns rather than spread evenly, so where you are looking matters more than the islandwide number.

Where it goes wrong

Three mistakes I see repeatedly

01

Forgetting CPF accrued interest

People calculate their proceeds as sale price minus loan and get a number they're happy with. Then the CPF refund with accrued interest lands and the cash portion is far smaller than expected.

02

Budgeting to the maximum loan

The bank tells you what you can borrow. That is a ceiling, not a recommendation. Buying at the ceiling means any rate movement or income change goes straight into your household.

03

Never asking who buys it next

An upgrade is not the last transaction you'll ever make. If the unit has no clear future buyer, you've converted a liquid asset into an illiquid one and won't find out until you try to sell.

Free upgrade assessment

Your numbers, worked through properly.

Send me your position and I'll come back with an estimate of your sale proceeds, your realistic purchase budget, the monthly commitment at that budget, and a recommendation on sell-first versus buy-first for your specific case.

If the answer is that you shouldn't move yet, that's what I'll tell you.

I'll ask for the financial details privately, never on a form.